1705 S Joplin
Pittsburg, KS 66762
The home of the Pittsburg State University Gorillas, Carnie Smith Stadium opened in 1924 and is recognized as one of the premiere venues in NCAA Division II. Built in a Classical Revival style, a Classical arcade dominates the west side of the stadium. A decorated 6 foot tall ironstone wall encircles the stadium.
Full name: Carnie Smith Stadium, Brandenburg Football Field, Prentice Gudgen Track
Nicknames: “The Jungle”, “The Pitt”
Executive suites: 24
Record attendance: 11,910 (October 20, 2012)
Surface: MondoTurf (installed July 2012)
Scoreboard: 40’x70′ video board dubbed the “JungleTron”
Expanded: 2001, 2006
In addition to numerous NCAA Division II regular season and playoff games, Carnie Smith Stadium has been the home to Kansas High School state championships, the Kansas Shrine Bowl All-Star game, and two National Junior College Athletic Association championship games.
Carnie Smith Stadium also features the Prentice Gudgen Track. This historic track and field facility has hosted many events at the youth, high school and collegiate levels, including the MIAA Track and Field Championship.
Construction begins with volunteer labor during the summer of 1923. $100,000 was donated by students, alumni, faculty and citizens of Pittsburg to build the stadium. To insure its completion by the start of the 1924 season, faculty members were eventually required to help work up to eight hours per week.
1924, October 11
Originally named Brandenburg Stadium, in honor of William Aaron Brandenburg, the first president of the University, the first varsity football game was held between PSU (known as Kansas State Teachers College) and Baker University, in front of approximately 4,000 fans.
The University announced the field would continue to bear the name of PSUs first president, but the stadium would be called Carnie Smith Stadium, in honor of the legendary PSU football coach who led the Gorillas to two NAIA national championships (1957 and 1961) and six conferences titles during his tenure from 1949-66.
A $5.7 million expansion provided by private funding added 2,700 seats, including new club seating on both the East and West stands, and 16 luxury sky boxes added to East stands. Stadium capacity grew from 5,611 permanent seats to 8,343. New restroom, concession stand and ticket booth facilities added. An elevator, handicap accessability and other ADA improvements made. Home and visitor locker room upgraded. New media room added.
A $2.5 million expansion provided by private funding added eight luxury sky boxes to West side of the stadium.
A $1.7 million upgrade through private funding unveiled the “Jungletron” video scoreboard, the largest replay board in NCAA Division II.
Bleacher Report listed Carnie Smith Stadium as one of the “Top 50 Stadiums to See Before You Die” and one of the “Top 20 College Football Atmospheres in the Country.”