813 Memorial Drive
Pittsburg, KS 66762
Lincoln Park complex contains an Aquatic Center, two Bocce courts, two lighted half basketball courts, seven horseshoe pits, Don Gutteridge Sports Complex, nine hole disc golf course, fishing, Four Oaks Golf Course, Jaycee Ball Diamond, Kiddieland amusement park, miniature golf, Band Dome, two playgrounds, RV Park, four tennis courts, and three shelter houses. For more information contact Pittsburg Parks and Rec at (620) 231-8310.
Brief History of Lincoln Park
Originally a gathering place for Union veterans of the Civil War to host annual meetings and events. Named for President Abraham Lincoln, those veterans sold the park to the City of Pittsburg in 1906.
Additional acreage was added over the decades; and, a plan for the park was designed in 1908 by renowned Kansas City architect, George E. Kessler, who had designed Hyde Park and the park and boulevard system in Kansas City, and had been the chief architect and designer of the 1904 Worlds Fair in St. Louis. Kessler laid out Lincoln Park’s roads, trails, playgrounds and locations for various structures including the park auditorium, now Lincoln Center, and the bandstand, now the J.J. Richards Band Dome.
The auditorium was started on Aug 18, 1910 and dedicated the weekend of Aug 13-15, 1911. It had a large porch with columns wrapped around the outside, which were removed during a remodel of the auditorium in the 1970s.
In 1936 improvements to the park were made, many using Kessler’s designs, including the addition of a Rose Garden, Lily Pond, Greenhouses and off street parking.
In the 1950s a swimming pool and wading pool were added on the south side of the park. These were removed and replaced with a much larger water park style swimming pool in the late 1990s.
Kiddie-Land a small amusement park was added in the 1960s and is still there.
Four Oaks Golf Course was added to the northwest end of the park in the 1970s.