Timmons Ballroom

707 N Broadway
Pittsburg, KS 66762
620-704-3388
facebook.com/HotelStilwellKS/

Built in 1890, the historic Timmons Ballroom sits inside the Hotel Stilwell. Features 2,500 square feet of meeting space with a capacity of 120 for dining or 180 for a meeting. The Timmons Ballroom has tables, chairs, serving accessories, catering kitchen and is ADA accessible.

St. Aloysius Church Historic Site

953 W, KS 47
Girard, KS 66743

Church built in 1881 was replaced by a larger building for use in 1907, but original building was kept. Larger building was struck by lightning, destroyed in 1982, and remains stand. Both buildings built in a Vernacular Gothic Revival. Cemetery is also on the property.

THE LEGEND OF GREENBUSH

According to legend, in 1869, Father Phillip Colleton, was caught at this site by a furious hail and thunder- storm. The frightened priest took refuge under his saddle and vowed that if his life was spared, he would build a church on this spot. The fervent promise resulted in the establishment of St. Aloysius, Greenbush. The first Catholic Church erected in Crawford County was a wooden frame structure completed in 1871. Located on the Historic “Mission Road”. The church was destroyed by a storm in 1877. Parishioners quarried limestone from Hickory Creek and completed the second church in 1881. The first resident pastor, Father F. M. Verdan, arrived in 1882 and served the church for fifty years. A larger church was needed and completed in 1907. The 1881 church was converted into a community building. The third church stood for 75 years as a landmark before it was struck by lightning and burned in 1982. The ruins remain. The 1881 church was renovated into a place of worship. Thus the second church became the fourth church on March 9, 1986 and served the people until it closed in 1993. Father Colleton’s promise will continue.

Spiderleg Bridge Trail

1 W Lake Rd
Farlington, KS 66734
(620) 362-3671
ksoutdoors.com/State-Parks/Locations/Crawford

0.5 mile walking trail. ADA accessible. Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Branch of West Fork Dry Wood Creek on Saint Louis-San Francisco Railroad. Built in 1914 to replace a wooden bridge. Includes remains of a 19th century U.S. military outpost.

State park permit is required for access.

Sharon Kay Dean Recital Hall inside McCray Hall

East Lindburg St
Pittsburg, KS 66762

The Sharon Kay Dean Recital Hall is inside McCray Hall on the campus of Pittsburg State University. The Recital Hall features a newly rebuilt Steinway concert grand piano, and a 3-manual, mechanical action Fisk Opus 106 organ, constructed in 1995. Built in 1929 and originally called “Music Hall”, the building was rededicated in 1961 in honor of the department’s second chairman, Walter McCray.

Saint Francis Hieronymo Catholic Church

208 Washington St
Saint Paul, KS 66771
(620) 449-2224
stfrancis-stambrose.org

Visible for miles and founded in 1847 as the Catholic Osage Mission to educate Osage children. Romanesque Revival building has five altars and numerous stained glass windows. The grounds include gardens, statues, stone bell tower, and walkway. The bell in the 1947 bell tower was brought to the mission in 1847 and is believed to be the first church bell used in Kansas.

Raymond Community Home

301 S Osage St
Girard, KS 66743
(620) 724-4133
GirardKansas.gov

The Raymond Community Home located in Girard, KS features 800 square feet of meeting space with capacity of 50 people. The Raymond Community Home has tables and chairs, full working kitchen and is ADA accessible. The Raymond Community Home was built in 1893 and is listed on the Kansas Register of Historic Places.

Pittsburg Public Library

308 N Walnut St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-8110
pplonline.org

A rare Andrew Carnegie library without elaborate, ornate decorations, or his name – both were compromises with area miners angered with his involvement.

The Pittsburg Public Library first opened its doors on January 18, 1902, when the west wing of the city office building was used to house the small collection of books. The citizens quickly realized the value of such an institution, and the library’s popularity grew so quickly that by 1907 the Board of Trustees began looking for ways to secure funds for a larger building.

Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie was already well known for his philanthropy towards libraries across the country, and the Pittsburg library community approached him for much needed support. His donation of $40,000 angered the miners of the area and in order to appease them, the Board agreed to leave the Carnegie name off of the front of the proposed building.

The architectural firm of Patton and Miller of Chicago was hired to design the building with S.S. Geatches serving as contractor. The new building, completed in 1912, was one of the few Carnegie libraries built in Prairie Style architecture, another concession to the miners who did not want an elaborate, ornate facility. The building features an exterior of Carthage limestone and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The library operated for many years in the original Carnegie building, but it was eventually outgrown as well. A one-half cent sales tax was passed in 1994, and plans to build an addition and renovate the historic Carnegie building were put into place. The library underwent an extensive addition and renovation in 1996-98. The firm of Glenn Livingood Penzler (now GLPM Architects) of Lawrence, KS, designed the project, and the contractor was R.E. Smith Construction of Joplin, MO.

Characteristics and details of the original building have been incorporated into the addition, and the furnishings reflect the Arts and Crafts style made popular during the early 1900’s. Restoring the glory of the original building without disturbing its historical integrity earned the architectural firm of Glenn Livingood Penzler an award from the Kansas Preservation Alliance.

Miners Hall Museum

701 S Broadway
Franklin, KS 66735
(620) 347-4220
minershallmuseum.com

Showcasing immigrant & coal mining history, MHM is on the site of the 1921 women’s march known as the Amazon Army, which inspired national labor/social reforms.

#

The Miners Hall Museum is located in Franklin, Kansas. The Museum is home to hundreds of mining artifacts, a mining library and research area, as well as quarterly exhibits and programs. The Museum is also the site of the nationally known Amazon Army March. In the summer of 2013 the Museum hosted the Smithsonian traveling exhibit “The Way We Worked”. Admission is always free.

Miners Hall Museum is an exhibition located within the Franklin Community Center & Heritage Museum in Franklin, Kansas. The museum is home to hundreds of mining and bootlegging artifacts, the “Spirit of the Little Balkans” mural, a mining library and research area, as well as quarterly exhibits and programs. The Museum is also the site of the nationally known Amazon Army March.

The center & museum was built shortly after the devastating tornado of 2003 which destroyed much of the community including the former Franklin Community Hall.

Amazon Army March

The museum sits on the site of what was once Union Hall, where in 1921, thousands of wives, daughters, mothers, sisters and sweethearts of striking coal miners in Southeast Kansas marched in protest against unfair labor practices in the local coal mines. The women, mostly immigrants from southeast Europe, halted work in the mines for three days. The women’s march made headlines across the nation and the New York Times christened them the “Amazon Army.”

Arma-Franklin Sidewalk

Across the street from the museum is a three-foot wide sidewalk that stretches 1.7 miles from Franklin, north to Arma. At the time it was constructed in 1936, the Franklin Sidewalk connected the two rural mining communities, and at one point was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the “longest sidewalk connecting two communities”. The sidewalk was listed on the Kansas Register of Historic Places in November 18, 2006, and on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior on March 16, 2007.

Frontier Military Scenic Byway & Jefferson Highway

The museum sits on the route of what was once a military trail used by the Army to transport troops and supplies between frontier forts. The 167 mile path connects Fort Leavenworth to the Oklahoma border. In the 1910’s, much of what was this military trail in Kansas, including the area through Franklin, eventually became part of an automobile highway known as “Jefferson Highway”, which stretched from Winnipeg in Canada to New Orleans, Louisiana. This path is now along U.S. 69. The military trail was designated a state byway by the Kansas Legislature on June 15, 1990.

Memorial Auditorium & Convention Center

503 N Pine St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-7827

Open since 1925, was designed during the excitement of the excavation of King Tutankhamun’s Tomb so is a rare example of Egyptian Revival Style architecture.

Old meets new in this historic 1925 theater with modern amenities. Check our website for upcoming theater productions, ballets, vendor events and art exhibits.

The Memorial Auditorium & Convention Center is truly a community center providing an attractive, state of the art venue for the performing arts as well as a pleasant place to have a private gathering, fundraisers, meetings, small conventions, wedding receptions and more.

Lincoln Park

813 Memorial Drive
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-8310

Originally used by Civil War veterans, became a city park in 1906. Jefferson Highway Tourist Campground ran from 1925-1935 at band shell’s current location.

Brief History of Lincoln Park

Originally a gathering place for Union veterans of the Civil War to host annual meetings and events. Named for President Abraham Lincoln, those veterans sold the park to the City of Pittsburg in 1906.

Additional acreage was added over the decades; and, a plan for the park was designed in 1908 by renowned Kansas City architect, George E. Kessler, who had designed Hyde Park and the park and boulevard system in Kansas City, and had been the chief architect and designer of the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis. Kessler laid out Lincoln Park’s roads, trails, playgrounds and locations for various structures including the park auditorium, now Lincoln Center, and the bandstand, now the J.J. Richards Band Dome.

The auditorium was started on Aug 18, 1910 and dedicated the weekend of Aug 13-15, 1911. It had a large porch with columns wrapped around the outside, which were removed during a remodel of the auditorium in the 1970’s.

In 1936 improvements to the park were made, many using Kessler’s designs, including the addition of a Rose Garden, Lily Pond, Greenhouses and off street parking.

In the 1950’s a swimming pool and wading pool were added on the south side of the park. These were removed and replaced with a much larger water park style swimming pool in the late 1990’s.

Kiddie-Land a small amusement park was added in the 1960’s and is still there.

Four Oaks Golf Course was added to the northwest end of the park in the 1970’s.

Jimmy B's Saloon

202 N Locust St
Pittsburg, KS 66762

A saloon & beer garden with occasional live music. Built in 1904 to sell tombstones & monuments, is an example of folk architecture. The exterior includes hand carved stone figures of prominent American folk heroes including George Washington, Mark Twain & Belle Starr, as well as Kansas legends, including Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Jesse James, Carrie Nation and the Bloody Benders.

Hance White (1854-1926) built the building and operated out of it using the name Hance White & Son Marble Works, then Pittsburg Marble Works, and it grew to be one of the largest marble works in the Midwest by the 1920’s, with marble and other stone being sent their from quarries throughout the world.

Hotel Besse

121 E 4th St
Pittsburg, KS 66762

Seen from miles away, Pittsburg’s skyline has been defined by this 12 story Late Gothic Revival architectural ornament building since 1926.

Always surrounded by buildings that have averaged four stories, the construction of the Hotel Besse was funded without any outside assistance, and it opened on June 14, 1927, intending to “stand as a monument to the civic pride of Pittsburg”. According to the Pittsburg Sun in 1925, during its construction, “an individual, apparently attempting to measure into the sky the height of the new structure, said yesterday as he gazed skyward: ‘Gosh, a feller is liable to sunburn his tonsils trying’ to see the top o’ that place when they get it done.'”

In addition to the grand ballroom, private dining rooms, and hotel rooms, commercial tenants on the ground floor over the years included a coffee shop, cigar stand, beauty shop, a radio station, and various offices, including the Pittsburg Chamber of Commerce.

The Besse Hotel closed to visitors in 1979, and was renamed the Besse Apartments in 1980. By 2006, few tenants remained and after three arson fires, the remaining tenants were ordered to vacate the building. The Besse Hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008, and is once again undergoing renovations for future use.

Hotel Stilwell

707 N Broadway
Pittsburg, KS 66762
620-704-3388
facebook.com/HotelStilwellKS/

From the times of horse and buggy to cell phones and the information age, the world around the Stilwell has changed significantly. Since 1890 she has stood the test of time and the elements.

When the Stilwell was founded Idaho and Wyoming were yet to be admitted as the 43rd and 44th states; (3 July, 10 July 1890). Our nation was growing and through the years the Stilwell changed too. Servicemen leaving for war, and returning home stayed here through the years, and the Stilwell has played a role in Kansas as well as American History. Find out more at http://www.hotelstilwellkansas.org

The historic Timmons Ballroom inside the Hotel Stilwell features 2,500 square feet of meeting space with a capacity of 120 for dining or 180 for a meeting. The Timmons Ballroom has tables, chairs, serving accessories, catering kitchen and is ADA accessible.

#

The Hotel Stilwell’s history runs back to 1889, when a board of trade sought funds to build a high-class, metropolitan hotel to rival those in Chicago and St. Louis. Funds for the hotel came together through the work of railroad tycoon Arthur E. Stilwell, who agreed to sell bonds in the amount of $75,000 and secure interest from his associates in the east. For securing the funding, Stilwell was honored with the dedication of the hotel in his name.

In its early days, the Hotel Stilwell expressed the energy and strength of the growing town. Industrial and mining operations were rapidly expanding around Pittsburg, and the new hotel promised widespread attention. Documents from the Kansas State Historical Society explained that the Stilwell was “the first [hotel] with sophistication and style, the first that could be pointed to with pride by visitors and residents alike. It was the center of social activity for many generations of Pittsburg citizens.”

As the founders had hoped, the Hotel Stilwell soon received statewide attention. Responding to a miner’s strike in December of 1919, Governor Henry Allen temporarily moved his office and living quarters to the hotel for closer access to miner’s union officials. Other visitors to the hotel included women’s rights activist Susan B. Anthony and famed lawyer Clarence Darrow, who visited the hotel while concluding the Scopes Monkey Trial. The trial’s final verdict was so recent, Darrow held a press conference at the hotel during his 1925 visit to answer questions from reporters.

Hotel Stilwell Notable Visitors

If any part of the hotel has seen more notable visitors, it has to be the second-floor balcony. Sitting just above the grand arched entrance, the balcony was the site of President Theodore Roosevelt’s speech during a tour of Kansas in July of 1900. Roosevelt’s speeches during this tour tended to focus on praising Kansas troops and prosperity in the Midwest, although a long speech in Emporia turned political, with the president discussing the Philippine war for independence from under U.S. control. Roosevelt exclaimed his opinion in the speech: “Our flag is up in the Philippines and it shall never be hauled down.”

After World War II, the Stilwell began to see more permanent visitors on limited incomes instead of overnight visitors. The hotel was closed in 1975 as its condition deteriorated, and subsequent owners began to renovate the building for future use. Dr. and Mrs. Wilson Rigler purchased the building in 1979 and on April 30, 1980 the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hotel Stilwell Today

Stilwell Heritage and Educational Foundation director Laura Carlson and local author Kathleen DeGrave, whose 2010 book “The Hotel Stilwell: A Tale of Mortar, Money and Memories” say this period in the hotel’s life lasted until the 1990s, when building permits were issued to renovate the building into 44 apartments. “There were some doubters and croakers in 1890 when Arthur Stilwell built the hotel, and there were doubters and croakers in 1992,” Carlson said.

Despite all doubt, the project was successful in saving the hotel, which is finding new life as an apartment complex with a uniquely rich background. In addition, the Stilwell’s Timmons Ballroom still hosts wedding receptions and banquets.

Anyone interested in reserving the ballroom can contact the hotel for information.

Himmel House Bed & Breakfast

402 W Euclid
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 232-9497
himmelhouse.com

Built in 1905, our charming b&b is centrally located in the historic community Pittsburg. We offer guest three room options with all the comforts of home.

Built in 1905. Second floor reserved for guests only.

Includes in-bedroom internet, in-room whirlpool, private bath & wireless internet. Built in 1905 in Greek Revival architectural style using local brick and limestone, and located in the historic southwest section of town.

Located in the historic southwest section of town, this three story home was built in 1905 in Greek Revival architectural style using Pittsburg brick and Carthage limestone. The home combines an eclectic blend of the old with all of today’s modern conveniences to make your stay, business or pleasure, is one to remember. Free WiFi, games and puzzles, refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot, and a brick patio with grill and fireplace pit are all available.

Himmel House is centrally located in the historic southwest section of Pittsburg. In 1905, Arthur Lanyon built what is now called Himmel House Bed and Breakfast. Once and now again a Pittsburg showplace, our three story home is built of Pittsburg brick and Carthage limestone in Greek Revival architectural style. While a guest at Himmel House, enjoy being just minutes from downtown shopping, dining, and Pittsburg State University. Enjoy a stroll around Playter Lake and feed the ducks at Lakeside Park only a few blocks away. Combining an eclectic blend of the old with all of today’s modern conveniences, we’ll be sure to make your stay, business or pleasure, one to remember.

Historic Franklin-Arma Sidewalk

1275 S Broadway St
Franklin, KS 66735

kshs.org/kansapedia/franklin-arma-sidewalk/18986

Believed to be the longest sidewalk connecting two towns in the U.S., the sidewalk is along Business U.S. 69 from Franklin to Arma, originally a military trail, then Jefferson Highway. The 1.7 mile mostly paved sidewalk connected the two rural towns in 1936 following school consolidation and was built by the WPA.

Franklin residents relied on services and schools to the north in Arma. Jefferson Highway/U.S. 69 was paved in 1922-23. High speed traffic made pedestrian travel deadly especially for children. The 1.7 mile, 3-foot wide sidewalk was built in 1936 and is believed to be the longest sidewalk in the U.S. connecting two towns.

Franklin Historic Sidewalk is listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places as a means of transportation for education and commerce related activities. A marker at the Franklin Community Park, which is midway, denotes the listing on the Historic Register. Other informative signs along the sidewalk denote its significance. It has also become well known for it’s listing in either Guinness Book of World Records or Ripley’s Believe it Or Not as the longest sidewalk connecting two towns in the United States. Many early residents remember the excitement as newspaper, radio and television carried stories about this record. The story about the sidewalk appeared in Life Magazine circa 1938. Constructed in 1936 with federal funding assistance, the Franklin Sidewalk connects two rural mining communities in Crawford County — Arma and Franklin. The three-foot wide sidewalk begins at the south edge of Arma and stretches south 1.7 miles to the south edge of Franklin, and runs parallel along the east side of Business Highway 69.

Harry's Cafe

412 N Broadway St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 232-2125

Known in the area for offering the best breakfast & lunch meals. Located in the middle of downtown Pittsburg, Harry’s Cafe has a reputation for serving some of the best pie in Southeast Kansas.

Built in 1897, the building has served as a furniture store, drugstore, and various restaurants, including from 1923-1944, and as Harry’s Cafe since 1961.

Girard Public Library

128 W Prairie Ave
Girard, KS 66743
(620) 724-4317
girardpubliclibrary.net

Listed on the National Historic Register as a Carnegie library. The library was established in 1899, and the current Carnegie library building was built in 1906. With a population of 2,500 at the time, it’s believed Girard was the smallest city in the world to have a Carnegie Library at the time.

This is a full service library with Wi-Fi, meeting rooms, and a genealogy/history department.

The library features 2,500 square feet of meeting space and a capacity of 125 people. The library has three separate meeting rooms, two of which can be combined for a larger meeting room. The library has a kitchen, tables and chairs, limited audio-visual equipment, free high-speed wireless internet and is ADA accessible.

Franklin Community Park

500 S Broadway St
Franklin, KS 66735
(620) 347-4220

Playground, restrooms, pavilion, paved walking/biking area. Located on the historic military trail, which became Jefferson Highway; and, is adjacent to the Arma-Franklin historic sidewalk, the longest sidewalk connecting two communities.

Franklin Community Park & Memorial Garden provides many areas for activities for families to enjoy. It includes a playground area, walking path, bocce court, horseshoe pits, covered shelter with picnic tables, bbq pit and a garden area.

Frisco Event Center

210 E 4th St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 249-3491
facebook.com/Friscoevent/

Of six depots built by Frisco Freight in Pittsburg, Kansas, only one remains. A depot has been on the 210 East 4th Street site since 1876, and after decades of barely being used, it has been restored and is now the Frisco Event Center. The current building was built in 1902; and, after a fire, the brick portion on the east end was built in 1917. The facility has a capacity of 200 to 220 people with tables.

Downtown Girard Square

100 S Summit St
Girard, KS 66743
(620) 724-8918
girardkansas.gov

Downtown Girard is built around a traditional courthouse square. The statue of a deer and a marker on the southwest corner of the square commemorate the founding of the city on the site where Dr. Charles H. Strong, the founder of the city, killed a deer. Girard was also home to the socialist newspaper “Appeal to Reason” and the “Little Blue Books” of classic literature. Many of the downtown buildings have bronze plaques giving a brief history of the site.

History of the courthouse: https://www.crawfordcountykansas.org/courthouse-history.html

Founded in 1868, Downtown Girard is built around a traditional courthouse square. Plaques throughout the area provide a brief history of the community. A statue of a deer commemorates where the city founder killed a deer and proclaimed that spot to be designated a new town. Mistreatment of the region’s coal mining workers led to Girard based publication of the socialist newspaper “Appeal to Reason”; and, long before Wikipedia, 300 to 500 million “Little Blue Books” were printed and delivered from here. These small, cheap pocketbooks brought classic literature and other common sense knowledge to the working class.

Colonial Fox Theatre

407 N Broadway St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 235-0622
colonialfox.org

Experience the magic of this historic treasure and see firsthand restoration efforts of a classic movie palace! Concert dates & Tour requests available online.

Built in 1919, the Colonial Fox Theatre is nominated for its association with Pittsburg’s entertainment history and for its Italian Renaissance Revival architecture. Between the two world wars, the Colonial Theatre, as it was called before the 1950s, was one of several theaters that anchored downtown entertainment and nightlife in southeast Kansas’ largest city.

Cato Historic Stone School House

1153 N 200th St
Arcadia, KS 66711
(620) 232-6944
catoschool.com

The site of a still standing one-room country school built in 1869 of vernacular stone has been turned into an open air museum. Includes log cabin and marker.

The first schoolhouse in Crawford County was a log cabin built at the same location in 1867. Classes began in 1867 and continued through 1955. The Cato Historical Preservation Association maintains the schoolhouse as a historical attraction, with free admission, as a symbol of education.

The still standing one-room, vernacular stone, school building was constructed in 1869 with classes being held there until 1955. The Cato School is in the Historic Public Schools of Kansas multiple property submission as an example of the one-room country school property type dating from the early statehood period (1861-1880).

History
Founded in 1854, Cato is believed to be the first community built in the Southeast Kansas area, and it has the distinction of having the first grist mill in Crawford County, the first coal mining operation, the first school in the county, and the first County Fair. Cato was never a large town, reaching its peak population in 1910 with 112 residents.

An old, one-room, stone school house built in 1869 is on the National Register of Historic Places. The stone school house, the Cato Christian Church built in 1915, and a stone bridge that was once on the stage coach route, are all that remain of the community.

Cato Days
Each year the Cato Historical Preservation Association spends one weekend reminding residents and tourists of the pioneer days. The festival includes tours of the pioneer era community, live music, food, and re-enactments, occasionally “including a shoot-out between Missouri border roughians and Kansas lawmen”.

Brick + Mortar Social House

401 N Broadway St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(417) 793-5027

Incorporates the elements of a classic neighborhood bar in a chic, luxurious way, while serving up a mouth-watering menu of Modern American fare. One of Pittsburg’s newest restaurants, Brick + Mortar is a featured restaurant in Block 22. The name “Block 22” ties to the city’s rich heritage of entrepreneurs and business pioneers, with four historic properties having been renovated to feature residential, commercial, dining, and entertainment spaces. 51 blocks were originally platted by the city’s forefathers, and Block 22 of the original map included the Opera House Hotel at the centrally located intersection of 4th and Broadway.

Big Brutus Inc.

6509 NW 60th St
West Mineral, KS 66782-0025
(620) 827-6177
bigbrutus.org

World’s largest electric shovel honors the region’s mining heritage. Original 1920’s shovel that inspired design. Admission charged. Hours vary by season.

Named to the National Register of Historical Places in January 2018, Big Brutus put the oooohs and aaahs in the backyard of the Heartlands. Miles before you reach this retired giant — you can see it on the horizon south of West Mineral, Kansas.

Standing beside it makes one aware of how fragile he or she is. The statistics give the hard cold picture — Bucyrus Erie model 1850B second largest electric shovel in the world 16 stories tall (160 feet) weight 11 million pounds boom 150 feet long dipper capacity 90 cu. yds (by heaping, 150 tons — enough to fill three railroad cars.) maximum speed .22 MPH cost $6.5 million (in 1962) There is more to Big Brutus than cold steel and long shadows falling across the Mined Land Wildlife Area.

Big Brutus is not just a symbol of the past, but an eternal tribute to the mining heritage of Southeast Kansas and to miners all across this nation who toiled to support their families. On July 13, 1985, Big Brutus was dedicated as “a Museum and Memorial Dedicated to the Rich Coal Mining History in Southeast Kansas.”

In September 1987 The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) designated Big Brutus a Regional Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark, the 10th since 1971 to be so designated. On January 5, 2018, Big Brutus was named to the National Register of Historical Places.