Miners Hall Museum

701 S Broadway
Franklin, KS 66735
(620) 347-4220
minershallmuseum.com

Showcasing immigrant & coal mining history, MHM is on the site of the 1921 women’s march known as the Amazon Army, which inspired national labor/social reforms.

#

The Miners Hall Museum is located in Franklin, Kansas. The Museum is home to hundreds of mining artifacts, a mining library and research area, as well as quarterly exhibits and programs. The Museum is also the site of the nationally known Amazon Army March. In the summer of 2013 the Museum hosted the Smithsonian traveling exhibit “The Way We Worked”. Admission is always free.

Miners Hall Museum is an exhibition located within the Franklin Community Center & Heritage Museum in Franklin, Kansas. The museum is home to hundreds of mining and bootlegging artifacts, the “Spirit of the Little Balkans” mural, a mining library and research area, as well as quarterly exhibits and programs. The Museum is also the site of the nationally known Amazon Army March.

The center & museum was built shortly after the devastating tornado of 2003 which destroyed much of the community including the former Franklin Community Hall.

Amazon Army March

The museum sits on the site of what was once Union Hall, where in 1921, thousands of wives, daughters, mothers, sisters and sweethearts of striking coal miners in Southeast Kansas marched in protest against unfair labor practices in the local coal mines. The women, mostly immigrants from southeast Europe, halted work in the mines for three days. The women’s march made headlines across the nation and the New York Times christened them the “Amazon Army.”

Arma-Franklin Sidewalk

Across the street from the museum is a three-foot wide sidewalk that stretches 1.7 miles from Franklin, north to Arma. At the time it was constructed in 1936, the Franklin Sidewalk connected the two rural mining communities, and at one point was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the “longest sidewalk connecting two communities”. The sidewalk was listed on the Kansas Register of Historic Places in November 18, 2006, and on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior on March 16, 2007.

Frontier Military Scenic Byway & Jefferson Highway

The museum sits on the route of what was once a military trail used by the Army to transport troops and supplies between frontier forts. The 167 mile path connects Fort Leavenworth to the Oklahoma border. In the 1910’s, much of what was this military trail in Kansas, including the area through Franklin, eventually became part of an automobile highway known as “Jefferson Highway”, which stretched from Winnipeg in Canada to New Orleans, Louisiana. This path is now along U.S. 69. The military trail was designated a state byway by the Kansas Legislature on June 15, 1990.

Girard History Museum

300 S Summit St
Girard, KS 66743

facebook.com/FriendsofHistoricGirard

Three buildings on site, including 1888 Episcopal Church with original stained glass windows; on National Registry of Historic Places. Open Tue-Sat 9:00a-3:00p.

A community of people trying to preserve historic sites and educate people about the unique history of Girard. A hotbed for socialism during the mining era, Girard was the home to Julius Wayland and Emanuel-Haldeman-Julius’s “Appeal to Reason”l, then the largest socialist periodical in the country. Haldeman-Julius also created the Little Blue Books, small paperback books that made literature available to the masses at a cheap price – a venture that landed him on the FBI’s “enemies list”.

Crawford County Historical Museum

651 U.S. 69
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-1440
crawfordcountymuseum.com

The largest museum in the area. Thousands of pioneer, mining & bootlegging artifacts. Visit an authentic one-room school & grocery store.

Explore the colorful history of Crawford County and it’s residents through the interesting exhibits. Indoor displays feature vintage clothing, photos, coal mining and farming artifacts, printing exhibits and horse-drawn vehicles. Outdoor exhibits include a one-room school house, an authentic neighborhood grocery store, and coal mining steam shovel.

Carona Train Depot & Railroad Museum

6769 NW 20th
Scammon, KS 66773
(620) 396-8594
heartlandstrainclub.org

Carona Depot and Railroad Museum features a diverse collection railroad memorabilia including the actual depots from Carona and nearby Boston, Mo., numerous working rail cars, the Downes Collection, folk art collectors pieces, special events and train rides.

The Heart of the Heartlands Museum Complex is located in the former mining community of Carona, Kansas.

The complex includes the museum building; the restored Missouri Pacific Depot from Carona, Kansas; the restored Missouri Pacific Depot from Boston, Missouri; a collection of railroad locomotives and cars including the cosmetically restored KCS Steam Locomotive #1023; and, a railroad signal display.

The outdoor displays are open for viewing at any time.

The museum and depot buildings are open for visitors on the first and third full weekends (Saturday and Sunday) of June, July, and August, 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM, or by appointment.

Heartland members are dedicated to providing railroad histories, short excursion train rides and motorcar excursions during the year. We have established a museum in Carona, Kansas to preserve railroad memorabilia.

The group has restored three depots: a Santa Fe Depot in Cherryvale in 1991, a Missouri Pacific Depot in Carona in 1996 and a second Missouri Pacific Depot (The Boston Depot which is now also located on our grounds in Carona). The Cherryvale depot, built in 1910 is now operated by the SK&O Railroad. The freight room in the north end of the depot is the home of the Cherry Valley Model Railroad Club, which meets every Friday evening. The Carona depot, built in the 1940s, was used as a passenger depot until the early 1960s. At that time the depot was sold and moved 1/4 mile and used as a hay barn. The John Thompson family graciously gave the depot to the Heartlands organization. It has now been moved close to the track and restored with the help of many area volunteers and Heartland members. The Boston Depot was built in 1882 in a then thriving community of Boston Missouri. It was put out of service in 1932. Our group moved it to its current location on October 7, 2005.

Big Brutus Inc.

6509 NW 60th St
West Mineral, KS 66782-0025
(620) 827-6177
bigbrutus.org

World’s largest electric shovel honors the region’s mining heritage. New exhibit: Original 1920s shovel that inspired design. Admission charged. Hours vary.

Named to the National Register of Historical Places in January 2018, Big Brutus put the oooohs and aaahs in the backyard of the Heartlands. Miles before you reach this retired giant — you can see it on the horizon south of West Mineral, Kansas.

Standing beside it makes one aware of how fragile he or she is. The statistics give the hard cold picture — Bucyrus Erie model 1850B second largest electric shovel in the world 16 stories tall (160 feet) weight 11 million pounds boom 150 feet long dipper capacity 90 cu. yds (by heaping, 150 tons — enough to fill three railroad cars.) maximum speed .22 MPH cost $6.5 million (in 1962) There is more to Big Brutus than cold steel and long shadows falling across the Mined Land Wildlife Area.

Big Brutus is not just a symbol of the past, but an eternal tribute to the mining heritage of Southeast Kansas and to miners all across this nation who toiled to support their families. On July 13, 1985, Big Brutus was dedicated as “a Museum and Memorial Dedicated to the Rich Coal Mining History in Southeast Kansas.”

In September 1987 The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) designated Big Brutus a Regional Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark, the 10th since 1971 to be so designated. On January 5, 2018, Big Brutus was named to the National Register of Historical Places.