Miners Memorial

200 N Walnut St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-8310

A tribute to those who settled Crawford County. Includes a pavilion and the Miner Memorial, a larger-than-life bronze statute of a miner accompanied by granite monuments inscribed with the names of miners who worked in the Pittsburg-Weir coalfields.

The purpose of Miners’ Memorial is to honor the work and lives of the coal miners in the Weir-Pittsburg Coal Field. Construction of the Miners’ Memorial has been accomplished with local and regional funding.

The Memorial features a larger-than-life-size bronze statue of an era miner. There are nine black polished monuments flowing in an arc to the right of the statue. The first stone is an interpretive marker on the south side, and accompanied on the north side with the map of the Weir-Pittsburg Coal Field. The remaining eight monuments contain the names of miners who have been submitted by their families and friends. A star beside their name indicates that the miner died as a result of working in the mines.

Across the street from Immigrant Park.

Jimmy B's Saloon

202 N Locust St
Pittsburg, KS 66762

A saloon & beer garden with occasional live music. Built in 1904 to sell tombstones & monuments, is an example of folk architecture. The exterior includes hand carved stone figures of prominent American folk heroes including George Washington, Mark Twain & Belle Starr, as well as Kansas legends, including Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Jesse James, Carrie Nation and the Bloody Benders.

Hance White (1854-1926) built the building and operated out of it using the name Hance White & Son Marble Works, then Pittsburg Marble Works, and it grew to be one of the largest marble works in the Midwest by the 1920’s, with marble and other stone being sent their from quarries throughout the world.

Galloping Horse of Gansu Sculpture

500 E Ford Ave (southeast edge of University Lake)
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-7000
PittState.edu

This larger-than-life bronze piece is along the southeast edge of University Lake. It’s a reproduction of an ancient Chinese sculpture made during the Han Dynasty (206 BC to 220 AD) and was a 100th birthday gift to the University from a dignitary in China.

Frisco Event Center

210 E 4th St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 249-3491
facebook.com/Friscoevent/

Of six depots built by Frisco Freight in Pittsburg, Kansas, only one remains. A depot has been on the 210 East 4th Street site since 1876, and after decades of barely being used, it has been restored and is now the Frisco Event Center. The current building was built in 1902; and, after a fire, the brick portion on the east end was built in 1917. The facility has a capacity of 200 to 220 people with tables.

Downtown Pittsburg Artwalk Mural

501 N Broadway St
Pittsburg, KS 66762

Pittsburg ArtWalk commissioned 6 Artists to complete a mural on the side of the 501 N Broadway building. Each artist had their own space on the wall to complete with the vague theme of “Your Downtown”. As with all art, it is open to interpretation by the viewer and the creator.

ArtWalk obtained a grant from the SEK ArtFest to help complete the 2nd phase of the mural, above the 6 spaces.

Many, many long hours went into the project. Artists even traveled from Omaha, NE to work on their portion.

We hope there is something for everyone in this project. Whether you call it “street art”, “fine art” or “mural” we hope you find joy in the vibrancy it brings to the heart of Downtown Pittsburg, KS

Thank you to the following artists, organizers and Sponsors:

ARTISTS:
Elizabeth Cosby
Camillia Fearmonti
Jenna Spencer
Bryan Lewandowski
Holly Kranker
Kelci Cooper
Amanda Smardo
Heather L Horton (assisted)

Organizers:
Roger Horton
Heather Horton
John Kutz
Kris Hartley
Kelci Cooper

Sponsorship:
CDL Electric
3M
TJ Lelands
JS Kutz Rentals & Construction
SEK Art Fest
Pittsburg ArtWalk

Coal Miner Sculpture

200 N Walnut St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-8310

A tribute to those who settled Crawford County. Includes a pavilion and the Miner Memorial, a larger-than-life bronze statute of a miner accompanied by granite monuments inscribed with the names of miners who worked in the Pittsburg-Weir coalfields.

The purpose of Miners’ Memorial is to honor the work and lives of the coal miners in the Weir-Pittsburg Coal Field. Construction of the Miners’ Memorial has been accomplished with local and regional funding.

The Memorial features a larger-than-life-size bronze statue of an era miner. There are nine black polished monuments flowing in an arc to the right of the statue. The first stone is an interpretive marker on the south side, and accompanied on the north side with the map of the Weir-Pittsburg Coal Field. The remaining eight monuments contain the names of miners who have been submitted by their families and friends. A star beside their name indicates that the miner died as a result of working in the mines.

Across the street from Immigrant Park.

Centennial Deer Sculpture

S Summit St & E Prairie St
Girard, KS 66743
(620) 724-6212

Dedicated on Girard’s Centennial Birthday February 28, 1868~1969: Dr. Charles H. Strong decided to go deer hunting and possibly locate the geographical center of Crawford County, which had just been established in Southern Kansas February 13, 1867. While hunting, a deer jumped up out of the grass and was shot by Dr. Strong who drove a stake where the deer fell; on which he placed a card and a bunch of grass stating that he had taken the land and Girard was to be located thereon; naming it in honor of his home town Girard, Pennsylvania.

Arma Centennial Mural

604 East Washington
Arma, KS 66712
(620) 347-4125

The Arma Centennial Mural depicts the rich history of Arma, Kansas. The mural was done by local painter Gary Lofts, who, along with his wife Susan, was the driving force behind the project. Dedicated August 8, 2009, the mural includes a miner, a mule used in the mines, a representation of the Missouri Pacific Railroad that operated in the area, the Mine Recovery Station, the local depot, a church, the local veteran’s memorial, a Model T owned by a local resident, and the school mascot. The piece covers a brick wall dating to 1907 and overlooks the site of the former Arma Hotel, which was demolished in the 1960s.