Weir City Park with historic city water tower

200 Forest Street
Weir, KS 66781
(620) 396-8214

Playground, pavilion, small stage. In the shadows of the Weir City Water Tower, which was built in 1896 of curved brick, three bricks in thickness using locally fired Weir brick. The 100′ curcular tower is topped with a 24′ steel storage holding tank. Believed to be completely original with no modifications inside or out.

PSU Veterans Memorial Amphitheater

1909 S Rouse Ave
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 235-4762
psuvetmemorial.org

Plaza includes 3,400 engraved pavers, reflecting pool, and a retired Moving Wall – a replica of Vietnam War Memorial Wall that traveled the country.

The permanent location of one of three Moving Wall structures, the Pittsburg State University Veterans Memorial Amphitheater is located on the east end of the university’s campus. Since it was dedicated on Memorial Day in 2004, more than 100,000 visitors have walked through this tribute to all veterans.

The memorial was designed as a park setting to accommodate individual contemplation and provide a setting for educational programs, memorials, and other special events.

The Moving Wall is a half-size replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. Three structures were created. Due to wear, one was retired and put on permanent display at the PSU Veterans Memorial Amphitheater.

The memorial also includes a reflecting pool with an eternal flame, patriotic bronze sculptures, and more than 1,000 engraved granite pavers paying tribute to veterans and veterans’ organizations.

Miners Memorial

200 N Walnut St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-8310

A tribute to those who settled Crawford County. Includes a pavilion and the Miner Memorial, a larger-than-life bronze statute of a miner accompanied by granite monuments inscribed with the names of miners who worked in the Pittsburg-Weir coalfields.

The purpose of Miners’ Memorial is to honor the work and lives of the coal miners in the Weir-Pittsburg Coal Field. Construction of the Miners’ Memorial has been accomplished with local and regional funding.

The Memorial features a larger-than-life-size bronze statue of an era miner. There are nine black polished monuments flowing in an arc to the right of the statue. The first stone is an interpretive marker on the south side, and accompanied on the north side with the map of the Weir-Pittsburg Coal Field. The remaining eight monuments contain the names of miners who have been submitted by their families and friends. A star beside their name indicates that the miner died as a result of working in the mines.

Across the street from Immigrant Park.

Memorial Auditorium & Convention Center

503 N Pine St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-7827

Old meets new in this historic 1925 theatre with modern amenities. Check our website for upcoming theatre productions, ballets, vendor events, &; art exhibits.

The Memorial Auditorium & Convention Center is truly a community center providing an attractive, state of the art venue for the performing arts as well as a pleasant place to have a private gathering, fundraisers, meetings, small conventions, wedding receptions and more.

Jimmy B's Saloon

202 N Locust St
Pittsburg, KS 66762

A saloon & beer garden with occasional live music. Built in 1904 to sell tombstones & monuments, is an example of folk architecture. The exterior includes hand carved stone figures of prominent American folk heroes including George Washington, Mark Twain & Belle Starr, as well as Kansas legends, including Bat Masterson, Wyatt Earp, Jesse James, Carrie Nation and the Bloody Benders.

Hance White (1854-1926) built the building and operated out of it using the name Hance White & Son Marble Works, then Pittsburg Marble Works, and it grew to be one of the largest marble works in the Midwest by the 1920’s, with marble and other stone being sent their from quarries throughout the world.

Graham's Castle

601 Grandview Heights Terrace
Pittsburg, KS 66762

facebook.com/GrahamsCastle

In Pittsburg, Kansas, the unique architecture of the home at 601 Grandview Heights has captured the imagination of people passing by for generations.

In 1934, it was built on the outskirts of town with no running water, using an unusually shaped concrete roof to pool rain water, and built with recycled brick, concrete & steel – much of which was pulled from area mines – and a windmill with batteries generated and stored electricity.

Outsiders have called it “The Flying Nun House” because of its shape, but locally, it’s more commonly known as “Graham’s Castle”, named for its original owner and designer, Staneart Graham. Local historian Eugene DeGruson bought the home in the 1960’s and it remains in his family, though it was vacant for nearly 20 years. Its current owners occasionally open the home for tours, use as an Escape Room, and other events.

Girard History Museum

300 S Summit St
Girard, KS 66743

facebook.com/FriendsofHistoricGirard

Three buildings on site, including 1888 Episcopal Church with original stained glass windows; on National Registry of Historic Places. Open Tue-Sat 9:00a-3:00p.

A community of people trying to preserve historic sites and educate people about the unique history of Girard. A hotbed for socialism during the mining era, Girard was the home to Julius Wayland and Emanuel-Haldeman-Julius’s “Appeal to Reason”l, then the largest socialist periodical in the country. Haldeman-Julius also created the Little Blue Books, small paperback books that made literature available to the masses at a cheap price – a venture that landed him on the FBI’s “enemies list”.

Galloping Horse of Gansu Sculpture

500 E Ford Ave (southeast edge of University Lake)
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-7000
PittState.edu

This larger-than-life bronze piece is along the southeast edge of University Lake. It’s a reproduction of an ancient Chinese sculpture made during the Han Dynasty (206 BC to 220 AD) and was a 100th birthday gift to the University from a dignitary in China.

Downtown Pittsburg Artwalk Mural

501 N Broadway St
Pittsburg, KS 66762

Pittsburg ArtWalk commissioned 6 Artists to complete a mural on the side of the 501 N Broadway building. Each artist had their own space on the wall to complete with the vague theme of “Your Downtown”. As with all art, it is open to interpretation by the viewer and the creator.

ArtWalk obtained a grant from the SEK ArtFest to help complete the 2nd phase of the mural, above the 6 spaces.

Many, many long hours went into the project. Artists even traveled from Omaha, NE to work on their portion.

We hope there is something for everyone in this project. Whether you call it “street art”, “fine art” or “mural” we hope you find joy in the vibrancy it brings to the heart of Downtown Pittsburg, KS

Thank you to the following artists, organizers and Sponsors:

ARTISTS:
Elizabeth Cosby
Camillia Fearmonti
Jenna Spencer
Bryan Lewandowski
Holly Kranker
Kelci Cooper
Amanda Smardo
Heather L Horton (assisted)

Organizers:
Roger Horton
Heather Horton
John Kutz
Kris Hartley
Kelci Cooper

Sponsorship:
CDL Electric
3M
TJ Lelands
JS Kutz Rentals & Construction
SEK Art Fest
Pittsburg ArtWalk

Downtown Girard Square

100 S Summit St
Girard, KS 66743
(620) 724-8918
girardkansas.gov

Downtown Girard is built around a traditional courthouse square. The statue of a deer and a marker on the southwest corner of the square commemorate the founding of the city on the site where Dr. Charles H. Strong, the founder of the city, killed a deer. Girard was also home to the socialist newspaper “Appeal to Reason” and the “Little Blue Books” of classic literature. Many of the downtown buildings have bronze plaques giving a brief history of the site.

History of the courthouse: https://www.crawfordcountykansas.org/courthouse-history.html

Founded in 1868, Downtown Girard is built around a traditional courthouse square. Plaques throughout the area provide a brief history of the community. A statue of a deer commemorates where the city founder killed a deer and proclaimed that spot to be designated a new town. Mistreatment of the region’s coal mining workers led to Girard based publication of the socialist newspaper “Appeal to Reason”; and, long before Wikipedia, 300 to 500 million “Little Blue Books” were printed and delivered from here. These small, cheap pocketbooks brought classic literature and other common sense knowledge to the working class.

Crawford County Historical Museum

651 U.S. 69
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-1440
crawfordcountymuseum.com

The largest museum in the area. Thousands of pioneer, mining and bootlegging artifacts. Visit our authentic one-room school and grocery store.

Explore the colorful history of Crawford County and it’s residents through the interesting exhibits. Indoor displays feature vintage clothing, photos, coal mining and farming artifacts, printing exhibits and horse-drawn vehicles. Outdoor exhibits include a one-room school house, an authentic neighborhood grocery store, and coal mining steam shovel.

Coal Miner Sculpture

200 N Walnut St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 231-8310

A tribute to those who settled Crawford County. Includes a pavilion and the Miner Memorial, a larger-than-life bronze statute of a miner accompanied by granite monuments inscribed with the names of miners who worked in the Pittsburg-Weir coalfields.

The purpose of Miners’ Memorial is to honor the work and lives of the coal miners in the Weir-Pittsburg Coal Field. Construction of the Miners’ Memorial has been accomplished with local and regional funding.

The Memorial features a larger-than-life-size bronze statue of an era miner. There are nine black polished monuments flowing in an arc to the right of the statue. The first stone is an interpretive marker on the south side, and accompanied on the north side with the map of the Weir-Pittsburg Coal Field. The remaining eight monuments contain the names of miners who have been submitted by their families and friends. A star beside their name indicates that the miner died as a result of working in the mines.

Across the street from Immigrant Park.

Colonial Fox Theatre

407 N Broadway St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
(620) 235-0622
colonialfox.org

Experience the magic of this historic treasure and see firsthand restoration efforts of a classic movie palace! Concert dates & Tour requests available online.

Built in 1919, the Colonial Fox Theatre is nominated for its association with Pittsburg’s entertainment history and for its Italian Renaissance Revival architecture. Between the two world wars, the Colonial Theatre, as it was called before the 1950s, was one of several theaters that anchored downtown entertainment and nightlife in southeast Kansas’ largest city.

Civil War Memorial

Cherokee Cemetery
Cherokee, KS 66724
(620) 457-8413

Civil War Union Soldiers memorial at Cherokee Cemetery. Erected in 1912 Grand Army of the Republic Shiloh Post 56 in memory of soldiers of War of 1881-65.

The grave of Shiloh Post 56 member Allen Reese is located within the Cherokee Cemetery. Born in Nashville, Tennessee in 1844, Reese died March 25, 1918. A former slave, Reese enlisted in Co. D., 16th U.S. Vol. Inf. Following the Civil War he moved to Hopkinsville, Kentucky, before settling in Cherokee. A member of the African Methodist Episcopal Church for 45 years, Reese had served in nearly office in his local church, and was a local preacher and a class leader at the time of his death.

Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Memorial Trail

1 W Lake Rd
Farlington, KS 66734
(620) 362-3671
ksoutdoors.com/State-Parks/Locations/Crawford

This paved 0.25 mile historic self guided interpretive trail is ADA accessible and honors the Civilian Conservation Corps who built the dam at Farlington Lake, and includes a statue of a CCC worker and historical markers.

A state park since 1927, from 1934 to 1939 the Civilian Conservation Corps were on site to build the dam for Farlington Lake. A memorial with the statue of a CCC worker was dedicated in 2005 to honor the efforts of the individuals in the CCC that built the lake.

State park permit required for access.

Cato Historic Stone School House

1153 N 200th St
Arcadia, KS 66711
(620) 232-6944
catoschool.com

The site of a still standing one-room country school built in 1869 of vernacular stone has been turned into an open air museum. Includes log cabin and marker.

The first schoolhouse in Crawford County was a log cabin built at the same location in 1867. Classes began in 1867 and continued through 1955. The Cato Historical Preservation Association maintains the schoolhouse as a historical attraction, with free admission, as a symbol of education.

The still standing one-room, vernacular stone, school building was constructed in 1869 with classes being held there until 1955. The Cato School is in the Historic Public Schools of Kansas multiple property submission as an example of the one-room country school property type dating from the early statehood period (1861-1880).

History
Founded in 1854, Cato is believed to be the first community built in the Southeast Kansas area, and it has the distinction of having the first grist mill in Crawford County, the first coal mining operation, the first school in the county, and the first County Fair. Cato was never a large town, reaching its peak population in 1910 with 112 residents.

An old, one-room, stone school house built in 1869 is on the National Register of Historic Places. The stone school house, the Cato Christian Church built in 1915, and a stone bridge that was once on the stage coach route, are all that remain of the community.

Cato Days
Each year the Cato Historical Preservation Association spends one weekend reminding residents and tourists of the pioneer days. The festival includes tours of the pioneer era community, live music, food, and re-enactments, occasionally “including a shoot-out between Missouri border roughians and Kansas lawmen”.

Centennial Deer Sculpture

S Summit St & E Prairie St
Girard, KS 66743
(620) 724-6212

Dedicated on Girard’s Centennial Birthday February 28, 1868~1969: Dr. Charles H. Strong decided to go deer hunting and possibly locate the geographical center of Crawford County, which had just been established in Southern Kansas February 13, 1867. While hunting, a deer jumped up out of the grass and was shot by Dr. Strong who drove a stake where the deer fell; on which he placed a card and a bunch of grass stating that he had taken the land and Girard was to be located thereon; naming it in honor of his home town Girard, Pennsylvania.

Carona Train Depot & Railroad Museum

6769 NW 20th
Scammon, KS 66773
(620) 396-8594
heartlandstrainclub.org

Open air museum includes depots from Carona & nearby Boston, Mo., numerous working rail cars & folk art. Indoor railroad memorabilia seen by appointment only.

The Heart of the Heartlands Museum Complex is located in the former mining community of Carona, Kansas.

The complex includes the museum building; the restored Missouri Pacific Depot from Carona, Kansas; the restored Missouri Pacific Depot from Boston, Missouri; a collection of railroad locomotives and cars including the cosmetically restored KCS Steam Locomotive #1023; and, a railroad signal display.

The outdoor displays are open for viewing at any time.

The museum and depot buildings are open for visitors on the first and third full weekends (Saturday and Sunday) of June, July, and August, 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM, or by appointment.

Heartland members are dedicated to providing railroad histories, short excursion train rides and motorcar excursions during the year. We have established a museum in Carona, Kansas to preserve railroad memorabilia.

The group has restored three depots: a Santa Fe Depot in Cherryvale in 1991, a Missouri Pacific Depot in Carona in 1996 and a second Missouri Pacific Depot (The Boston Depot which is now also located on our grounds in Carona). The Cherryvale depot, built in 1910 is now operated by the SK&O Railroad. The freight room in the north end of the depot is the home of the Cherry Valley Model Railroad Club, which meets every Friday evening. The Carona depot, built in the 1940s, was used as a passenger depot until the early 1960s. At that time the depot was sold and moved 1/4 mile and used as a hay barn. The John Thompson family graciously gave the depot to the Heartlands organization. It has now been moved close to the track and restored with the help of many area volunteers and Heartland members. The Boston Depot was built in 1882 in a then thriving community of Boston Missouri. It was put out of service in 1932. Our group moved it to its current location on October 7, 2005.

Big Brutus Inc.

6509 NW 60th St
West Mineral, KS 66782-0025
(620) 827-6177
bigbrutus.org

World’s largest electric shovel honors the region’s mining heritage. Original 1920’s shovel that inspired design. Admission charged. Hours vary by season.

Named to the National Register of Historical Places in January 2018, Big Brutus put the oooohs and aaahs in the backyard of the Heartlands. Miles before you reach this retired giant — you can see it on the horizon south of West Mineral, Kansas.

Standing beside it makes one aware of how fragile he or she is. The statistics give the hard cold picture — Bucyrus Erie model 1850B second largest electric shovel in the world 16 stories tall (160 feet) weight 11 million pounds boom 150 feet long dipper capacity 90 cu. yds (by heaping, 150 tons — enough to fill three railroad cars.) maximum speed .22 MPH cost $6.5 million (in 1962) There is more to Big Brutus than cold steel and long shadows falling across the Mined Land Wildlife Area.

Big Brutus is not just a symbol of the past, but an eternal tribute to the mining heritage of Southeast Kansas and to miners all across this nation who toiled to support their families. On July 13, 1985, Big Brutus was dedicated as “a Museum and Memorial Dedicated to the Rich Coal Mining History in Southeast Kansas.”

In September 1987 The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) designated Big Brutus a Regional Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark, the 10th since 1971 to be so designated. On January 5, 2018, Big Brutus was named to the National Register of Historical Places.

 

Arma Centennial Mural

604 East Washington
Arma, KS 66712
(620) 347-4125

The Arma Centennial Mural depicts the rich history of Arma, Kansas. The mural was done by local painter Gary Lofts, who, along with his wife Susan, was the driving force behind the project. Dedicated August 8, 2009, the mural includes a miner, a mule used in the mines, a representation of the Missouri Pacific Railroad that operated in the area, the Mine Recovery Station, the local depot, a church, the local veteran’s memorial, a Model T owned by a local resident, and the school mascot. The piece covers a brick wall dating to 1907 and overlooks the site of the former Arma Hotel, which was demolished in the 1960s.

Arma Veterans Memorial

N 5th St and E Washington St
Arma, KS 66712
(620) 347-4125
armakansas.org

Built shortly after World War II, the Arma Veterans Memorial honors local veterans through the joint support of the City of Arma and the Arma American Legion. The American flag and four flags of the armed forces – Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines – stand in front of the building. The memorial also includes a plaque representing the names of local veterans who have served the United States in war.

Arma also holds an annual V-J Homecoming celebration in recognition of veterans, with concurrently held alumni reunions and outdoor activities for families to enjoy.

The idea for the Veterans Memorial came after W.W.II. The American Legion wanted something to honor local veterans. The City of Arma did the construction. The structure was built shortly after the war. The City takes care of all the maintenance as well as adding any new names. Recently the City installed four new flags along with the American Flag. The 4 flags represent the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. The Legion paid for the materials and the City will take care of the flag replacements. The names on the plaque represent local veterans who have served our country in any war. Arma’s V-J Homecoming which began in 1946 celebration started as a way to honor veterans returning from World War II it has evolved over the last five decades into a family festival. VJ Day was August 15, 1945, the day the victory over Japan was celebrated by the Allied nations. In early August, the United States unleashed the secret weapon – the atom bomb- and devastated the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Rumors of peace began to circulate but many Americans feared that a final battle with Japan was inevitable. However, on the evening of August 14, the rumors were confirmed: Japan’s army agreed to lay down its arms and throughout the Pacific guns fell silent. There was a sense of collective relief when the impending invasion of Japan was unexpectedly cancelled by the advent of the atomic age. On September 2, 1945, on the deck of the battleship USS Missouri, the Japanese finally signed the official surrender document. Americans commemorated the official end of World War II with the first observance of V-J Day – “Victory Over Japan”. That Labor Day weekend marked the end of almost four years of devastation, loss and sacrifice for the nation. More than 300,000 Americans in the armed serviced died in Europe and the Pacific arenas. The very next year Arma celebrated it’s VJ Day in connection with homecoming activities and the VJ Homecoming Celebration was born. It has been said it is the oldest running VJ Day or WWII celebration in the country. This tradition has gone on since 1946. It celebrates the return from the war for local veterans. Each year the celebration is held the second week-end in August.