105 N Main St
Walnut, KS 66780
Mission style gas station built around 1920, with some classical elements in brickwork.
408 N Locust St
Pittsburg, KS 66762
Jefferson Highway linked Canada to New Orleans from 1915-1925. Built in 1915, this Jefferson Highway Garage once served automobiles traveling the highway and the structure maintains its original signage. The building continues to serve Pittsburg as a nonprofit kitchen, The Lords Diner.
6769 NW 20th
Scammon, KS 66773
Open air museum includes depots from Carona & nearby Boston, Mo., numerous working rail cars & folk art. Indoor railroad memorabilia seen by appointment only.
The Heart of the Heartlands Museum Complex is located in the former mining community of Carona, Kansas.
The complex includes the museum building; the restored Missouri Pacific Depot from Carona, Kansas; the restored Missouri Pacific Depot from Boston, Missouri; a collection of railroad locomotives and cars including the cosmetically restored KCS Steam Locomotive #1023; and, a railroad signal display.
The outdoor displays are open for viewing at any time.
The museum and depot buildings are open for visitors on the first and third full weekends (Saturday and Sunday) of June, July, and August, 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM, or by appointment.
Heartland members are dedicated to providing railroad histories, short excursion train rides and motorcar excursions during the year. We have established a museum in Carona, Kansas to preserve railroad memorabilia.
The group has restored three depots: a Santa Fe Depot in Cherryvale in 1991, a Missouri Pacific Depot in Carona in 1996 and a second Missouri Pacific Depot (The Boston Depot which is now also located on our grounds in Carona). The Cherryvale depot, built in 1910 is now operated by the SK&O Railroad. The freight room in the north end of the depot is the home of the Cherry Valley Model Railroad Club, which meets every Friday evening. The Carona depot, built in the 1940s, was used as a passenger depot until the early 1960s. At that time the depot was sold and moved 1/4 mile and used as a hay barn. The John Thompson family graciously gave the depot to the Heartlands organization. It has now been moved close to the track and restored with the help of many area volunteers and Heartland members. The Boston Depot was built in 1882 in a then thriving community of Boston Missouri. It was put out of service in 1932. Our group moved it to its current location on October 7, 2005.