The property, acquired primarily by donation, is 14,500 acres in size, comprised of 1,500 acres of water and 13,000 acres of land. All but 2,000 acres of the property was surface mined for coal during the 1920’s through 1974. The property is rugged country dotted with over 1,000 strip-mine lakes, steep-sided hills and dense vegetation. Primary terrestrial use on the property includes hunting, hiking, camping, wildlife viewing and mushroom/berry picking. Species hunted include whitetail deer, eastern turkey, mourning dove, bobwhite quail, fox squirrel, cottontails and waterfowl.